Friday, January 16, 2009

Stolen Lines #1

I'm really unsure where I'm going with a blog. I mean, I like blogs. I read far more of them than I really have time for. But I have no idea if I really have anything interesting to say. Regardless, after reading about Grace's "Stolen Lines" experiment I figured I could start with that. I don't know Grace, but I stumbled upon her blog one day a few months back and have been reading it ever since. As a law student I'm interested in (terrified of?) finding out what the future might hold. I also have a strange attachment to Chicago despite the fact that I've never been. Anyway, enough rambling, on to the experiment. Click the link to her blog if you're unsure what I'm doing with the rest of this post.

-----------

"I tried to think of the right answer. Unable to think of that, I spoke anyway."

There we were. Standing in the kitchen, away from everyone else at the party, I finally had her alone. The girl I had been dreaming of for months, standing right in front of me, staring back into my eyes as we shared a bowl or ten of snacks. Given that we were both cramming food into our faces, swooping in for the kiss was clearly not the right move. Nor was it the sanitary one.

Unable to determine a better plan, I determined the best move was to prolong the moment with some witty banter. It was that or another faceful of chips, and I didn't need the trans fat or the possibility of her getting bored and wandering off. What could I say that would be innocuous enough to not lead to an in-depth conversation but yet charming enough to leave her smitten? I tried to think of the right answer. Unable to think of that, I spoke anyway. "So I went to the doctor and got this new asthma medicine and it totally worked. I no longer feel like I'm suffocating at the slightest hint of physical exertion!"

Yup. Asthma medication. Not only that, but I made myself out to be a lazy slob as well. Needless to say, she walked off to go talk to her friends within seconds (and probably tell tales of my verbal diarrhea to everyone within earshot). The remainder of my night was rather uneventful, but in a fitting end to that tale, I passed out on the couch and awoke the next morning with someone's feet on my face. Not only did I end up putting my own foot in my mouth, I nearly had someone else's in there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment